In 2006, I had the opportunity to visit South Africa and ever since I returned, I've wanted to make my way back. Five years later, I have been given the incredible opportunity to co-lead a team of fifteen to Uganda where we will be facilitating a marriage and family conference. This trip is a testimony of God's faithfulness in fulfilling promises- a tangible mix of passion, desire, patience and trust.

It is my story of my heart for Africa. It is God's story of hope, healing and restoration to a broken land. And I invite you into the journey...this is a story involving US.

It is the Uganda Story.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Chapter 2: Gratitude

From [Christ] the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work. - Ephesians 4:16

Over the past several weeks, I have talked about The Uganda Story time and time again and I typically hear these two responses: 1. It is so clear that you are supposed to go on this trip, and 2. How can I help?

With the first, I cannot help but smile. For those of you who know this journey well, you know that I have prayed, cried and begged for the last five years to go back to Africa. While I believe this is a God-given, wholesome desire, I realized that all of my waiting and hoping was about way more than stepping foot back onto a certain continent. It was about trusting God with some of the deepest longings of my heart, and recognizing that God wants what is best for his children. So, when God got my attention a few months ago about a trip to Uganda, I knew this was for real because I wasn't trying to make it happen. In the past few weeks, I have been overwhelmed by the fact that you all see this too.

More than that, I have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of love, support and encouragement I have received...and how freely it has been given. Since sending out my support letters and starting this blog, I have met and exceeded my goal of raising $1,500 by May 15th!! When I asked you to join this journey, I had no idea that I would feel this loved and supported. I cannot thank you enough.

The next few weeks are quite important for our team. We are planning the conference, creating workshops, designating roles and responsibilities and continuing to raise support. It's incredibly exciting to see how we all get to use our gifts and talents in unique ways, and to see how our team is growing closer together throughout this process. I've listed some specific prayer requests below and value your prayers so much.

Again, I appreciate your support and the way in which each of you has blessed my life. Until the next chapter unfolds...

alair

1 comment: