In 2006, I had the opportunity to visit South Africa and ever since I returned, I've wanted to make my way back. Five years later, I have been given the incredible opportunity to co-lead a team of fifteen to Uganda where we will be facilitating a marriage and family conference. This trip is a testimony of God's faithfulness in fulfilling promises- a tangible mix of passion, desire, patience and trust.

It is my story of my heart for Africa. It is God's story of hope, healing and restoration to a broken land. And I invite you into the journey...this is a story involving US.

It is the Uganda Story.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Chapter 7: Thanking the 30 (part 2)


Melissa. Melissa and I met at church and I love her passion for life. She uses her creativity with art and movement to inspire and encourage others. Even though we haven't seen each other in years, I value her friendship and generosity.





Sarah. Sarah is the sister-in-law of my good friend Joy and Sarah
and I have actually never met! We've basically gotten to know each other through our Joy, and we both adore Cafe 222 here in San Diego. How amazing that Sarah was gracious enough to give and I
hope we can actually meet some day!








Robyn. Robyn and I worked together at San Diego Hospice, and we had the incredible/humbling/challenging/exhausting task of co-leading a therapy group of 4-6 year olds. If that doesn't bring two people together, I don't know what does! She taught me so much and I wish we could do groups again!





McKenna
(right). McKenna and I met a year ago when I was a
guide on a backpacking trip for incoming Point Loma students. I clearly remember the day that McKenna and I hiked together and shared stories about pretty much everything. She is a sweet friend and I miss our lunches in the cafeteria!





Andy & Courtney. They are two of my best friends, and they feel like family. They have walked with me through so much and have been some of the clearest examples to me of God's love, grace and faithfulness.
And they're just hilarious!






Jacob. Like many others on this list, Jacob and I grew up going to church and youth group together. Jacob shared with me, "My reason for giving? God blessed me immensely lately, I'm very grateful and I want to share the love!"




Dave and Christina. I've known Christina for several years and Dave was "married into" the friendship. They have been some of my biggest cheerleaders, no matter what God is doing in my life. They love kids, soccer, having me over for "crazy lady" yoga videos and their puggle, Patience.






Sarah. Sarah and I have known each other since high school. She was my first true friend after I switched high schools and she has been a faithful friend ever since.





Greg & Jen. Greg and I went to Bethel Seminary together and
after Greg & Jen got married, we realized that their new apartment is about 5 blocks away from mine! Greg & Jen volunteered with Flood's pre-marital classes and have a heart for seeing individuals and couples pursue health and wholeness.





Sarah. Sarah is one of those friends that has seen me at my very worst and my very best, and has loved me through it all. We've been backpacking buddies for several years and I love exploring the outdoors with her!



Kaitlin. Like Robyn, Kaitlin and I worked together at San Diego Hospice and recently
volunteered together at Camp Erin, a camp for bereaved kids. I always looked forward to working with Kaitlin, co-leading a group or facilitating art therapy for patients. She has a great sense of humor, sharp wit and a full heart of compassion for others.







Gary & Leora. Last but certainly not least, these two have such a special place in my heart. My mom is a special member of the "30" because she supported me by paying for all of my shots and medication...and yes, she researched malaria to know exactly what will happen to me if I get it. My mom is one of my biggest fans, and while it's hard for her to plug "Uganda" into Google Earth and see just how far I am, she has always told me to follow Jesus wherever he takes me.
Gary is my mom's boyfriend, and loves me like I'm his daughter. He has always told me, "Race your own race, Alair," and I know he's also in the stands for that race, cheering me on. I love his honesty, his heart and the way he can make friends with anyone.

What incredible people I have in my life. Thank you all again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment